Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Round Up

So here we are, December 31st, the final day of 2011. A wise man does not dwell on the past, but occasional reflection seems both wise and enlightening. I'm going to take a few paragraphs to recap my year for my own benefit. If you enjoy reading about it, even better.

What have I been up to for the past 364 days? Well, I'll tell you.

I spent a good chunk of it becoming a nurse. I graduated from my BSN program in August, took NCLEX on October 5th, and then on October 6th I found out that I had passed AND I got a job offer. I began working in November, and I currently work the night shift in the Medical ICU at St. Luke's in Kansas City. What's more, I couldn't be happier about where I am.

As an athlete, my longest run to date consisted of the 40 miler at the Free State Trail Runs.  As far as mileage, in 2011 I ran 604 miles, biked 951 miles, and swam 19 miles. I also experienced my first "bad race" that was so demoralizing that I needed over a month to recuperate, both physically and motivationally. Additionally, another 50k, a half marathon with my dad, my 3rd half ironman, my first trail half marathon, and a slew of smaller trail races.

Far more gratifying than my own accomplishments, however, was seeing many of my friends either achieve great things or set themselves on the path to do so by becoming active. This year's first-time Ironman finishers include Dustin J, Jeff S, and Carin C. A few good friends did their first marathons, like Indi M, Katie L, and my brother Chris L(also his first half Ironman). Several people have completed first half-marathons like Rachel P, Jamie T, and my father David L. Others have completed their first triathlons like Megan M and Ellie M. Others still have taken those first important steps out their front doors and decided to become active individuals, like Brian and Stephanie S, Christina M who is currently crushing her Couch-To-5k program, and my other brother Mike L, who not only quit smoking, but took up cycling. To these people and countless others, I send a hearty congratulations and wishes for more of the same in 2012. Kill the Bear, one and all!

All in all, 2011 was a tough year in many ways, mostly due to school. However, it did seem that all the hardship, doubt, and effort was pointing me in a direction I wanted to go, and now that I appear to have arrived at that destination, I know it was all worth it. I have a job that I love. I have a family that is prospering. I love a girl who thinks I'm worth a damn. I have a body that continues to function well enough that I can continue to challenge my physical and mental limits. Finally, I have a plan for the future, and enough excitement about that plan that I can hardly believe how lucky I am.

I  see myself becoming the happy, mature adult that I never dreamed I'd be. I have amazing friends who support me and inspire me. I am becoming less cynical about the world in some ways, but I worry a lot about the world as well. I try not to let it bother me, especially because most of those things are well out of my control. Mostly, I am once again astounded and thrilled that this year was better than the year before it. I wonder in the back of my mind when things will stop getting better, because what goes up invariably must go down, though I am too busy enjoying life to dwell on that notion.

For the past two years, I've written scathing rebukes of the notion of New Year's resolutions, and this year I have not changed my position. It's hard to say more without becoming a broken record, but I can only wish that people didn't assign self-improvement to ONE day of the calendar year. People are filled with this refreshing sense that everything resets on January 1st and that they can start anew once more. Little do they realize that the Reset button is always right in front of their nose, they just refuse to believe they can press it whenever they want. Earlier this year, some time in April I think, I decided to become a regular flosser. I succeeded for several months before I fell back out of the routine. Did I fail? I suppose it depends on whether or not I intend to try again. If I give up forever, then I have indeed failed. However, that is not my intention, and plaque still trembles in fear when I remember to reach for that floss before bed.

January 1st is the day after December 31st, and both days are equally opportune for making yourself a better person. And all the days in between. 

Be good to yourselves and realize that there is an entire world of possibility beyond your perceived limitations, and if you look past them, you will see it. 

Make today better than yesterday, every day.


Danny



No comments: