Sunday, July 11, 2010

Highway rant...

Dear fellow driver,

When I merged onto 435 westbound today, I saw you. I saw you throw your hands up in frustration. I saw you pound your steering wheel. I saw your mouth moving. I couldn't hear your words, but I can only assume they were colorful in nature.

I am a good driver. I've never been in an accident in the entirety of my 14 year driving career. I know how to merge into traffic, and I am aware of the shortcomings my car has when it comes to rapid acceleration. Namely....it doesn't. All the same, if you've ever driven on highways before, you realize that sometimes merging into traffic just isn't pretty, no matter how hard to try to prevent interrupting the flow of traffic.

Words cannot express how sorry I am for impeding your forward progress on this day...the day that you had important things to do, and not enough time to do them. Clearly, on this day, every second counts in your busy life. Please know that I will not forget this day, and I will carry this burden with me for a long time.

....

That brings me to my next point.

You were driving on a four lane highway. Of the four lanes you could have chosen to drive in, you chose the far-right lane. The lane that everybody uses for entering and exiting the highway. I'm not so certain that you can really be justifiably angry at me when you could have been in ANY of the other 3 lanes where cars just drive in a straight line at the speed limit. In those lanes, nobody is frantically trying to accelerate to or deccelerate from highway speeds. At least in one of the other lanes, if somebody in front of you was driving too slowly for your taste, your highway hissyfit would at least be justified.

I guess I just hope that you were able to successfully vent some of the frustration in your life that was not caused by my driving. Because it is pretty obvious that there's a lot of it.

Thanks for listening,

Danny

On a completely unrelated note:

1. Accident on the highway= "That's a shame. Hope nobody is hurt."
2. Secondary accidents on the highway caused by idiots gawking at primary accident= "That's completely stupid. They should be ashamed."
3. I do it too and therefore am part of the problem= "Embarrassing and sad to admit."

No comments: